objects: carrying a true emptiness


i bought my first ring when i was 18 and i'd just moved to cluj. that's what it signified to me: that i was an adult, living alone for the first time. all the rings i'd worn before were gold, bought to me by my mum and worn indiscriminately, and with no significance.this one was going to be different! my first step into the "i only wear silver" side!
it's a very small ring, unobtrusive, and, more importantly at that point in time, it was affordable. (!!! i'm trying to calculate how much, but it's difficult, because inflation. maybe the equivalent of 10$.)  in the rhombic frame it had a light-colored amber bit, which was also one of my big preferences at the time. and i'd bought it at "central", which at that time was a big and serious store. see how everything combined to make this ring important/symbolic?
so i wore it for 10 years...then while i was on holiday here from vancouver, in 2008, the band actually broke! no accident, simply broke with wear, i guess, it's a pretty thin band and all. so i abandoned it and bought another "permanent ring".
fast forward to 2012...i asked my mum [because she does all my things for me, what!! also, because she has her personal jeweler and tailor and everything, the way a settled, respectable lady is supposed to] to take my ring...somewhere [to her jeweler's] and have it repaired. the little amber stone was still there.

oh well. the ring came back from the shop without the stone. apparently, the moment they used flame to melt/repatch the silver band, the "amber" just fried out, because it had been plastic all along.
cue repeated entreaties by my mum to pick another stone and have it fitted in there. this time something precious, of course. 
and me saying wah wah, i'm too lazy. but then after a while i decided that maybe it really is that i don't want another stone there. this ring became what it is, in time. it's purified of the fake. and now i even think it looks good on my hand the way it is, with the empty hollow space at the center. almost 15 years.

from a point on, years start mattering.
is it creepy that i'm wondering who would wear this after me, in this broken form? who could i leave it to, many years from now i hope, who would really wear it? i worry about it being ungiftable. hey friends (and future friends), maybe someone can wear it on a string/chain, necklace-style. just saying.




Comments

Popular Posts