your typical laundromat conversation

middle-aged mustachioed man, sitting at the window table, leafing through a newspaper: il fait beau aujourd'hui, eh?
me, sitting opposite him, reading my book: fait plus froid qu'hier, quand meme.
man: vous venez de quel pays?
me: REALLY? REALLY? .....
man:... parce que vous avez l'air d'etre algerienne.
me: non.
man: c'est correct.
me: ....
man: moi, je suis libanais.
me: j'ai aucune connexion avec ca.
man: c'est correct...
me: AUCUNE!
man:
me: [trying to read; fuming]
me: (in bad french) no, but seriously, what you just did? pointing out to me that it was obvious i was an immigrant? how the hell do i expect anglophones or francophones to treat me as if it's not important that i'm a newcomer, when immigrants can't do it? i know you had no bad intentions, on the contrary, but wouldn't it be nice to act friendly to people based on whether they're nice individuals, not because you're guessing at their ethnicity? and i mean, for god's sake, if you had guessed right at least! but of course not! you're safe in pointing out i'm an inferior category in this society, but you can't tell what kind! man, i am so sick of this crap! i get this every day at the grocery store and at work! why do you people think it's a good idea?
man:... vous avez raison.
me [ ok, carmen, you're obviously exaggerating. you have this huge chip on your shoulder about your identity and status, why punish other people for it? besides. you know he meant it in a good way, he was just trying to find a common cultural basis. you know how it is, people are starving for connection. they forge stronger ties, because they have to. immigrants - always the kinds of people who will open up and inquire...people who can't mind their own business or stay where god put them on this earth.] *smile*
me: mais ecoutez, ca veut pas dire que je suis fachee contre vous, oubien que j'ai honte d'etre immigrante.
man: non, non, bien sur.
me: *breathes relief*
man: vous avez une tres belle sourire!
me: NO, NO, PLEASE, NO, DON'T START HITTING ON ME NOW ....merci...?
man: c'est quoi votre nom?
meFOR FUCK'S SAKE *runs away*


Comments

Popular Posts